＊The deadline of this open call has been postponed to Nov. 14
Bamboo Curtain Studio (BCS) in Taiwan aims to promote cross-cultural exchanges by providing a meeting point for creative talents from both national and international art-related fields for short stay or specific projects. BCS also practices and promotes sustainability by launching art projects within local communities to heighten awareness about the environment, global warming and sustainable living.
Since 2009, we at BCS have launched a residency program which aims to provide time and spaces for creative talents to pursue experimental works, outreach projects, collaborations or research.
In recent years, we have devoted attention to issues about ecology, community and nature's sustainable development. For instance, we strive to raise local citizens' awareness of the environment through art projects such as "Landscape between Art Veranda Project", "Plum Tree Creek Environmental Art Action", etc.
2017 Creative Talents Program
We celebrated our 20th anniversary in 2015. In that year, we held a retrospective exhibition, a series of side events and a BooBoo incubation project. Each event was linked to the slogan "Share, Connect and Co-create" as well as our theme of the year "Social Change".
In 2016, we have continued to deepen the idea of social change and entitled the program "Creative Collaboration as Catalyst for Change". We have invited more than 20 artists to develop this concept via varieties of projects.
In 2017, we plan to continue this same topic by inviting more creative talents to emphasize on social change. If you are interested in societal engagements and would like to see something change through your project, please contact us right away.
Applications will be accepted until November 14.
About Bamboo Curtain studio
BCS is a non-profit organization founded in 1995. Our goal is to encourage cross-cultural exchanges on both national and international levels by providing a platform to stimulate new ideas and possibilities. We conduct Open Calls for artists/curators/researchers all over the world from September to November each year. We also aim to create an environment that lifts barriers through quality spaces, facilities and services for on-site productions and research. Apart from running artists-in-residencies, we also work closely with local communities to raise awareness about the environment; our project "Art as Environment - A Cultural Action at the Plum Tree Creek" has been awarded and recognized both nationally and internationally.
To apply for BCS Creative Talent Program, please follow the instruction below
- 2017 Topic「Creative Collaboration as Catalyst for Change」
Eligibility：BCS residency program is open to all professionally established visual artist, performer, curator, and researcher, both individual and group. Emerging artists are also welcome to apply. We especially welcome applicants working in the area of cross discipline, ecology and environment, and community engagement projects. All applicant must be able to communicate in English or Chinese.
Application Period：available from now till 14th Nov (Mon)
Duration of Residency：Selected artist may choose their two month free residence space or one month free exhibition space from January -December 2017. (more welcome to choice the first half of the year)
Support for Selected Artists：BCS will provide either 2 months residency accommodation or one month exhibition/ performance space for free. BCS do not have funding program. BCS will provide recourses or connection for incoming resident. One artist talk is required.
Artists’ Responsibilities：Round-trip airfare, meals, transportation, material fee, etc.
Studio and accommodation
Bamboo Curtain Studio (BCS) is originally a chicken farm turned artist /studio space with artist-in-residency program. The studio contents four buildings with 6 accommodations available for artist, with a private share toilet and Kitchen. In each room, BCS provides all the basic daily needs such as, a bed, desk, chair, AC, and etc. BCS also provides various indoor and outdoor spaces for working or communication use.
* All BCS rooms are smoke free. Smoking area are locate outside the kitchen.
* Artist are responsible to clean their own room and some shared space as resident.
Floor Plan of Bamboo Curtain Studio
For more information please refer to our website for details.
BCS is located within 10 minutes walking distance of public transportation, MRT and Bus. Bicycles are available for all BCS resident. Although we are not located in the center of the city, basic needs are availed within 10 minutes reach by walk or bicycle.
List of services：
- Convenience Store
- Grocery Store
- Hardware Store
- Post Office
- Restaurants－average 60-150 NTD per meal
Fees and expenses
BCS will offer the accepted applicant maximum two months accommodation or one month exhibition space (12 bamboo) free. All living, transportation and other expenses will be paid by the artist. The basic average living stander in Taiwan is around 500 USD. BCS do not have funding program. Artists are encouraged to apply for funding on their own. BCS will help by providing invitation letter and all needed documents to accepted applicants for grants in their own countries. BCS provides the information of airport pick up – the cost is 35 USD per trip with reservation only.
Studio support actions
- Welcome session – All resident are invited to lunch or dinner whereby he/she meets the director of BCS, management staff and other resident artist.
- Weekly meeting – All resident are invited to weekly meeting with residency manger to extract information or possible event planning.
- BCS update all resident about the artistic and cultural events in Taipei depend on the area of interests of each resident.
- BCS could connects the resident with local artistic and cultural organization and professionals in his/her area of interest.
- During the residency, BCS require each artist to hold an artist talk in public.
- Taiwan residency partner: TASA member, Taipei Artist Village, Treasure Hill Artist Village, Bywood Art Space, and Soulang Culture Park, etc.
- Alliance of Artists’ Communities – Chairman of Taiwan group member.
- Trans Cultural Exchange – 2013 Board member
- Res Artis – 2002-2006 Board member
How to apply
Please sent your application to email@example.com in English or Chinese.
Application Deadline：All application must be submitted by email before November 14th, 2016
Only the accepted applicant will be contact. Please refer to BCS website for the final result.
Please follow the instruction below. Incomplete application will not be put in consideration. Each Application must include：
- Complete application form
- Resume and personal link
- 10 Work samples – Please find the requirements for different category below.
- A short description of the work or project. The description should not exceed 2 pages.
- Project proposal – The project proposal should include the concept and content with preferable carry out period.
- Reference – Each applicant must provide two reference name. “Signed” references by professional are recommended but not required.
- Couple or Team application：If applying as a couple or collaborative team, please have at least one person listed as the main contact person. As a collaborative team MUST include the following in your project proposal: group name (if applicable), a list of participating members, and your specific needs for accommodations and workspace. In addition, each member must supply an individual resume as part of the group application.
Current work is requested. The submitted work samples should correspond to the nature of the work you propose to do while in residence. An applicant’s work sample is the most significant feature of the application.
- Visual Art：Provide 10-15 images in JPEG format along with a document that contains your name, and lists the JPEG filename, title, medium, size and year of completion for each image. JPEG files should be at least 800×600 pixels and formatted to 72dpi. NO TIFF OR PSD FILES ACCEPTED. Each filename must be numbered and correspond to the accompanying work-sample description document.
Writing：The writing sample should be representative of the genre in which you plan to work while in residence. Provide one document that contains a sample as follows:
Fiction: 5 pages of a novel excerpt, a story, or short stories.
Poetry: 2 pages of poetry.
Nonfiction: 5 pages of nonfiction.
Playwriting: one complete play.
Screen writing: one complete screenplay.
Each document should have a cover page that contains the applicant’s name, and lists the title and date of completion.
- Performance/Film：Provide three separate works of 10 – 15 minutes each in audio or video format along with one document that lists the filename, title, and year of completion for each work, and that clearly summarizes the applicant’s role on the work. Film/video scriptwriters should also send a script.
- Curatorial Research：Provide one document that contains up to 2 pages of abstracts, excerpts, links to publications or short papers that are representative of your work. Include in this document a cover page that contains your name, lists the title and date of completion for each work, and a description of your area of research.
- Other：If your project does not fall clearly within one of the above disciplines, please email to the Residency Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss an appropriate work sample.
BCS application are evaluated by our rotating board advisor formed by independent curator, architect, performance director, museum director, and cross discipline professor. Due to short hand on staff, only the selected artist will receive invitation email from BCS.
For more information, please contact us at:
Email: email@example.com Tel: +886 2 8809 3809
Fax: +886 2 8809 3786
Address: No.39, Ln. 88, Sec. 2, Zhongzheng E. Rd., Danshui Dist., New Taipei City 251, Taiwan (R.O.C.)